Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Baking Apple Pie from Scratch

I love this Apple Pie.  I actually never liked Apple Pie, or any baked fruit, until I tried this pie my mother in law made.  Now, I like to make it for my Hubby as a special treat.  I make the crust, filling and topping all in an hour (including being distracted by my small children) and then it bakes for 40 minutes.  Easy as Pie!

I use a super-simple, oil pie crust recipe. Why? Because I hate cutting cold butter.  And then, after all that work, I don't like waiting while my pie crust chills in the fridge before rolling it out.  I'm just too lazy.  This recipe comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook.  I like a thick crust, so I use the whole recipe for the one pie shell.  I mix it up in my kitchen aid and then I usually just press the dough into my deep dish pie pan, instead of rolling it out. 

For the Apple Pie Filling, I slice, peel and core my apples with an Apple Peeler I got at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (link).  I mix the apples in the sugar/flour/cinnamon mixture as I peel them.  When done, I dump them into the crust.

For the topping, I throw all the ingredients in my kitchen aid or Ninja mini food processor and then sprinkle on top.  That way, again, I don't have to worry about cutting cold butter. See... I'm lazy.

Before I throw it in the oven, I use an adjustable crust shield (link) to keep my crust edges from overcooking.  I just remove it for the last 5 minutes of baking.


The Recipes

Oil Pastry Pie Shell (from the Betty Crocker Cookbook)

1 3/4 c flour
1 t salt
1/2 c canola oil
4 T cold water

Mix flour, salt, and canola oil until it forms lumps the size of small peas.  Add cold water 1 Tbsp at a time until mixing almost cleans the sides of the bowl.  If the mixture still seems dry after adding 4 Tbsp of water, do not add more water.  Continue adding 1 Tbsp of oil until the appropriate consistency is reached.  Then, gather the dough and press it into a ball.  (Optional: Roll out dough to fit your pie pan.)  Press into pie pan and trim off excess.


Apple Pie

Pie Filling:
7-8 apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 c sugar
2 T flour
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg (optional)

Topping:
1/3 c sugar
3/4 c flour
6 T firm butter

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Mix the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Pour into pie shell.  Combine the topping ingredients until crumbs are the size of small peas.  Sprinkle topping evenly across the pie.  Bake at 400 F for 40 minutes.  The topping should be golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment